Thursday, February 12, 2009

My parents 30th anniversary- A glimpse to my childhood.

Time flies! Wondering why am I telling you this now? Read on :)

My parents are celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary today. I know they will be married to each other for eternity. 10 years ago I did not have the same feeling about their marriage. They were married but not married to each other. Not that they were seeing someone else but just not into each other. I come from a very traditional family in middle east. Divorces are not common; even these days.

Dad is a busy business man. Mom a housewife. Dad traveled the world and sure he had his share of erotic fun with other women. (But the surprise is my mom strictly believed he is completely monogamous with her). I have my own share of instincts to think so. Mom never traveled with him, neither did we kids. He bought us a lot of toys and chocolates though. We loved them.

Mom is a short, petite, pretty woman. Married at the age of 17, all she really owned is us (we kids). We never had a social life like other families we saw around us. We never went to theme parks, never been to a movie theater, never saw an English movie or heard an English song before. We never learnt to dance or was applauded to enjoy any form of art. We went to an Indian school and we got back home to study more, eat and sleep. We are Muslims, thus Quran played an important role in our lives. I never enjoyed reciting it much but it was more purposeful than fun, I was told.

On and off, we saw our parents argue. I never heard my mom raise her voice. But I have heard my dad. My vague childhood memories of my parents include distance between them, a time when my mom tried to commit suicide and a time when my mom threw a handful of paprika powder into my dad's eyes as her share of anger and frustration to the life she is living.

Years passed and I have seen peace, happiness and togetherness in them. Even for once, I never asked them why they used to fight. Guess they assume, we have an idea why they fought. All I know is my dad used to drink and my mom is completely a terror if he drinks and come home. She might not shout but she'd talk things that boost up anyone's anger. (I know this because I have been a victim to her way of anger for a life time now).

This is a glimpse from my past. I have a lot of good things to say that is in my parents life now. But its still a small percentage of the total life I lived to be totally highlighted on a day like this if you are wondering- why is she not talking something good about them.

I grew up 'with' my family till high school. Not in a boarding school, not with my grandparents. I am seeing them happy from almost 2000 miles away for years now. But childhood really matters. And what and how your parents were to each other and to you matters even more.

This post is dedicated to all the family who have set good examples to their children, just to tell you how much I look up to you people.

This post is dedicated to all the parents who brought new lives into this world amidst your problems and what a shame that you didn't/do not know how badly they are getting affected/ is affected.

You never know what your children turn out to, despite how you shape them. But it doesn't excuse you from not shaping them. You are their heroes. But you got to wait till they grow up to tell you what kind of heroes you are in their lives.


0 comments:

Post a Comment