Sunday, February 8, 2009

YaY or NaY to working for a Public Defender?

I mentioned to you in my previous blog that I am a law graduate. I went to a small private law school in India. The end result of my 5 years stay in India was a law degree. Soon after my graduation I packed my bags to a new destination. To America!

I plan on going back to law school again to study further. But before I go back, I am looking to work in the legal field. Anyways the immigration attorney I am working with has come up with a reference. His partner at the law firm is friends with the public defender. We found this opportunity after searching and talking to people far and wide. It is hard because I don't have an American law degree, neither am I admitted to any bar in U.S. Other than volunteering, I cannot work anywhere for money as I do not have a work permit. But I don't care at this point. Right now, I just want to work in the legal field.

Larry (my immigration attorney) called me on Friday evening to tell me that the Public Defender would like to meet with me and I should give him a call to schedule an appointment. As soon as he hung up the phone, I gave a call to the public defender and we have decided to meet on coming Tuesday evening.

I have an idea of what a public defender does. And that worries me. Honestly, I don't know if I should fight to free a criminal. I do not know if I should fight to reduce the punishment of a rapist? I have been thinking a lot about it. I so want a job and here I finally found one but then I am unsure of it now. On Friday night, I went to a farewell party and happen to meet an attorney whose father was a public defender. She told me that it gives you a perspective from the other side. Tuesday is not too far away anyways. I have decided to meet with him and talk to him, even if it is just for the heck of it. I will keep you posted.

Meanwhile, let me know your thoughts. How fun is it to defend a criminal? Do you feel it is morally wrong to get into something like this? Is there a good side to being a public defender?

Share your thoughts,



0 comments:

Post a Comment